Connect with us

Infrastructure

Shortlist Announced for Cross River Rail Construction

Published

on

Shortlist Announced for Cross River Rail Construction

The shortlist of consortia bidding to build the state’s largest infrastructure project, the $5.4 billion Cross River Rail, has been announced.

Despite being pushed back almost a year – the shortlist was due to be announced in May 2017 – Acting Premier Jackie Trad blamed the delay on the conflict over funding with the federal government.

“If this process had occurred in May last year it would have occurred before there was money for the project,” Trad told reporters on Tuesday.

Trad said that the shortlist followed a comprehensive evaluation of the expressions of interest received for the project’s two major works packages: The Tunnel, Stations and Development public-private partnership and the Rail, Integration and Systems alliance.

“Shortlisted companies will now be required to prepare detailed bids that demonstrate innovation and offer Queenslanders the highest possible value for money.”

“Once the assessment process is complete, the consortia selected from these shortlists will be building this project. ”

The Palaszczuk government committed to on-time delivery of the project from here on in, after the turbulent years leading up to the contract announcement.

The process to select the consortium to build Cross River Rail is expected to take between 12 and 18 months, with the successful tenderer then expected to take up to a further year to begin physical work on the project.

The project involves the delivery of a 10.2km north-south rail link from Dutton Park to Bowen Hills through the exhibition showgrounds, including 5.9 kilometres of rail tunnel under the Brisbane River and CBD, as well as four new underground stations at Boggo Road, Woolloongabba, Albert Street and Roma Street.

Demand for Brisbane’s rail services is forecasted to double by 2026, and triple by 2036. The project seeks to respond to these demand pressures by providing transport options to 164,000 passengers daily.

The election of a Labor government in November eliminated uncertainty over whether the project would have been scrapped or delayed under a Liberal government.

“We promised to build Cross River Rail and that is exactly what we are doing,” Trad said.

Tunnel, Stations and Development public-private partnership consortia shortlist:

Pulse

  • CIMIC Group-led consortium, including Pacific Partnerships, CPB Contractors, UGL, BAM, Ghella and DIF

Qonnect

  • QIC, Capella Capital, Lendlease, John Holland and Bouygues

CentriQ Partnerships  

  • Plenary Group, ACCIONA, GS Engineering & Construction, Salini Impregilo and Spotless Group

The Rail, Integration and Systems alliance shortlist:

RiverCity Alliance

  • Laing O’Rourke Australia Construction Pty Limited, GHD Pty Ltd, Aurecon Australasia Pty Ltd, SYSTRA Scott Lister Australia Pty Ltd

Unity Alliance

  • CPB Contractors Pty Limited, UGL Engineering Pty Limited, Jacobs Group (Australia) Pty Ltd, AECOM Australia Pty Ltd

Main image: A concept image of the Roma Street station servicing Cross River Rail.

Originally Published: theurbandeveloper.com

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Infrastructure

Design work to ease Everton Park traffic

Published

on

everton park

The project, known as the Everton Park Link Road, will provide a new connection between South Pine Road, north of Kedron Brook Creek, to Stafford Road, east of Mountridge Street.

“We are getting the planning work underway now so motorists can benefit from safer commutes and less traffic sooner,” Member for Ferny Grove Mark Furner said.

“The existing intersection of Stafford Road and South Pine Road already carries heavy traffic and is surrounded by several shopping precincts.

“Building this new link will provide better access to local shops, and a better journey for motorists.

“This important upgrade is part of a wider traffic management strategy in the city’s north west, which includes improvements already made on Samford Rd where traffic times have been cut by five minutes.

Read more:  Climate a leading cause as UN finds global hunger rises again

“We want Queenslanders spending less time stuck in traffic, and more time doing things they enjoy.”

Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said the upgrade would also include provisions for bike riders and pedestrians, ensuring all modes of transport were considered, and active and healthy transport options were provided for the community.

“Traffic improvements will be made to existing surrounding roads as part of this project with a refined concept plan expected to be released in the coming months,” he said.

“We are planning to engage with the community regarding the design and seeking feedback, so there will be plenty of opportunities to find out more over the coming year.

“Geotechnical, environmental and public utility plant investigations will soon start on site.

“We will, of course, also be talking to residents and business people near these works to keep them informed.”

Construction is expected to start in late 2019, and the project will support 54 jobs.

Source: miragenews.com

Continue Reading

Infrastructure

Queensland’s $46 Billion Infrastructure Boom

Published

on

Queensland’s $46 Billion Infrastructure Boom

The Palaszczuk Government has released an update to its 2018 State Infrastructure Plan as it aims to roll-out a total of $45.8 billion worth of infrastructure over the next four years.

The second part of its State Infrastructure Plan (SIP) focuses on a range of infrastructure spending with its updated release, outlining the $11.6 billion of infrastructure investment to be rolled out in 2018-19, which aims to support up to 38,000 jobs.

Economic forecaster Deloitte Access Economics said that the outlook for engineering construction in Queensland is better than it has been for some time.

“Rather than wallowing in cash from a strong property market and asset privatisations as NSW and Victoria are, the Government is relying more heavily on raising new tax revenue and increasing debt to fund this infrastructure,” Deloitte’s quarterly Business Outlook report said.

Up to 65 per cent of the Queensland’s infrastructure budget is allocated outside of the greater Brisbane area, explained Minister for State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning Cameron Dick.

“Programs like the Queensland Transport Roads and Investment Program 2018-19 to 2021-22 outlines $21.7 billion in transport and road infrastructure over the next four years, estimated to support an average of 19,200 direct jobs over the life of the program.

Queensland’s $46 Billion Infrastructure Boom

The $5.4 billion Cross River Rail project, the biggest state funded infrastructure commitment in more than a decade, will be delivered in partnership with the private sector, explains Dick.

Infrastructure Association of Queensland chief executive Steve Abson said the infrastructure investment strategies update provides the private sector with confidence to invest in their Queensland operations.

With it now required to be “actioned collaboratively by all levels of government and the private sector”.

Seven new projects have been added to the Building Queensland (BQ) infrastructure pipeline, including upgrades to the centenary motorway and Sunshine Motorway, and a third track to be added to the Gold Coast rail line between Kuraby and Beenleigh.

Queensland’s $46 Billion Infrastructure Boom
Seven new projects have been added to the Building Queensland infrastructure pipeline, including a third track on the Gold Coast railway line to be further investigated

BQ Infrastructure Pipeline Report which presents priority infrastructure proposals under development by the Queensland government, shows 18 proposals from the pipeline has received funding commitments from state government since June 2016.

These include upgrades to the M1 from Eight Mile Plains to Daisy Hill, and Varsity Lakes to Tugan, the Beerburrum to Nambour Rail Upgrade, the Lower Fitzroy River Infrastructure Project and the New Performing Arts Venue.

A rise in interstate migration is seeing more people moving to Queensland, according to the Deloitte’s Business Outlook report, which says the sunshine state now has the third-fastest rate of population growth behind Victoria and the ACT.

The report said that Queensland is “well and truly” through the worst of its mining construction downturn as eye-watering house prices south of the border are sending more “economic refugees north to Queensland”.

Source: theurbandeveloper.com

Continue Reading

Infrastructure

Brisbane Set to Receive Australia’s Largest Performing Arts Venue

Published

on

Brisbane Set to Receive Australia’s Largest Performing Arts Venue

A new $150 million theatre to be built on the heritage-listed cultural precinct at South Bank will be funded in part by the Queensland government.

The Labor government will allocate $125 million in the Queensland budget and the Queensland Performing Arts Centre will contribute the remaining $25 million for the 1500-1700-seat theatre, which will be built on the Playhouse Green site.

The addition of the proposed venue would make QPAC the largest performing arts space in Australia.

The Queensland Premier said the new venue would support the state’s four home companies – Queensland Ballet, Queensland Symphony Orchestra, Opera Queensland and Queensland Theatre – by providing access across five QPAC venues.

“Building a new theatre is a must to ensure we can keep attracting even more big shows and more visitors to our capital city,” Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said.

“A national design competition would be undertaken to deliver an outstanding architectural solution for the new theatre.”

Brisbane Set to Receive Australia’s Largest Performing Arts Venue

Cuba’s Ballet Revolución recently played at Brisbane’s QPAC, the Queensland Ballet is one of the state’s four home companies that calls QPAC home.

The new theatre has been scheduled for completion in 2022 and would represent the largest investment in the arts since the Gallery of Modern Art was completed in 2006.

The state opposition has criticised the announcement, instead getting behind a market-led proposal by Sydney-based Foundation Theatres.

The proposed $100 million theatre on the old State Library site adjacent to Queen’s Wharf which would have required $25 million in taxpayer funds.

“The LNP has been calling for a new theatre for the last three years,” Dr Rowan said.

“It’s staggering that taxpayers are going to fork out for this theatre when a privately-funded proposal has already been lodged.”

On the weekend the Premier insisted that proposal was “still in play”.

“If they still want to pursue that they can,” Palaszczuk said.

Deputy Premier Jackie Trad said the new theatre would be a wonderful addition to the Queensland Cultural Centre that last year saw 6.5 million visitors.

“The new theatre will further enhance visitor attraction to the Centre, and with the growth of our local companies, we want as many visitors and tourists to experience our local artists and performing arts product as possible,” Trad said.

“QPAC schedules over 1000 performances annually and saw 1.3 million people through its doors in 2017.

“Its current theatres are nearing capacity, however with the addition of this new theatre QPAC would become Australia’s largest performing arts centre with the potential to welcome an additional 300,000 visitors each year when fully operational from 2022.”

Source: theurbandeveloper.com

Continue Reading

Positive Cashflow

duplex designs, dual occupancy homes

Trending