RACQ Head of Public Policy Rebecca Michael said new road links and public transport options were needed across the region.
“Where there’s expected growth we have the corridors preserved, so it’s about getting an appetite to move forward and deciding when to pull the trigger to start developing them,” Dr Michael said.
“Infrastructure isn’t getting any cheaper to build and it’s not quick to build so how bad do you let congestion get before you say that you actually need it?”
New road and public transport upgrades needed by 2043, according to RACQ:
- North West Transport Corridor – would provide relief for Gympie Rd
- Beerburrum to Nambour Rail Duplication – would relieve vehicle and truck pressure on the Bruce Hwy
- North-South Urban Arterial – an alternative corridor to the Bruce Hwy between Caboolture-Bribie Island Rd and the Pine River/Gateway Mwy
- Caboolture to Maroochydore Corridor Study (CAMCOS) – would provide passenger rail along the Sunshine Coast to the existing rail network.
- Kangaroo Point pedestrian bridge would improve walking and cycling options between Brisbane CBD and Kangaroo Point
- TransitWays – would link Capalaba to Cleveland and Cleveland to Redland Bay/Victoria Point
- Manly to Cleveland Rail Duplication would allow more frequent rail services to the Brisbane CBD and the airport
- Centenary Mwy upgrade and Kenmore Bypass would service western Brisbane, Springfield and Ipswich areas
- Ipswich Mwy upgrade would serve high growth areas to the west.
- Springfield to Ripley extension would provide passenger rail to Ripley/Ipswich
- Inner Orbital tunnel would connect to the preserved North West Transport Corridor and Stafford Rd, Everton Park
- Walter Taylor Bridge duplication would improve travel times and speeds, and manage safety issues at Walter Taylor Bridge
- West End to St Lucia bridge would improve connectivity across the river
- Coomera Connector (Intra-Regional Transport Corridor) – an alternative corridor to the M1 Pacific Mwy between Logan and Gold Coast
- Mt Lindesay Highway – would cater to predicted population growth and limited alternative routes
- Salisbury to Beaudesert Rail would provide passenger rail to Beaudesert
- Park Ridge Connector would relieve Mt Lindesay Highway
- Southern Infrastructure Corridor would connect Coomera Connector to Park Ridge Connector
- G:Link Stages 3A and 3B would improve transport connection to the southern Gold Coast and airport
The RACQ would also like level crossings to be upgraded0